The UNR Wolf Pack sent a large contingent of racers to Collegiate Mountain Bike Nationals in Angelfire, New Mexico, and the team placed 9th overall in the omnium points! This is the best finish for UNR as a team that we have on record, and it’s due in large part to the 10 male and female riders who were able to qualify for Nationals, which is a feat in itself.
Casey Coffman also placed 5th in overall points, and Kristy Peck placed 14th in the women’s individual division! These two stood out with competitive finishes in all four events (Downhill, Dual Slalom, Short Track and Cross Country). The team wants to thank all our sponsors who made this season a success, and we’d especially like to thank the Associated Students of the University of Nevada for their timely sponsorship of the team. It takes a great deal of resources to send 10 student riders halfway across the country to race, and our sponsors made it possible for us to be competitive at the national level again this year! UC Berkeley, Fresno State and UC Santa Barbara races are still yet to come, and UNR is working hard to win the overall conference title this season.
Here are the full results for UNR racers:
9th University of Nevada, Reno
Individual Omnium Points
5 Casey Coffman
14 Kristy Peck
19 Casey Coffman
24 Trevor Thomassen
35 Ben Jones
22 Kristy Peck
24 Matthew Fanfelle
37 Casey Coffman
63 Jeremy Smith
22 Erica Greif
29 Kristy Peck
15 Casey Coffman
27 Christian Parker
34 Trevor Thomassen
42 Ben Jones
61 Oakley Erickson
20 Kristy Peck
27 Matthew Fanfelle
38 Casey COffman
59 Jeremy Smith
19 Erica Greif
23 Kristy Peck
The Wolf Pack racers returned victorious from Humboldt State’s race in Whiskeytown, CA. Nearly every podium in the race had a spot filled by Nevada! Full results are here.
- UNR’s Trevor DeRuise took 1st place in Men’s A Cross-Country.
- Casey Coffman placed 1st in Men’s A Super-D.
- Katie Ashley took 2nd in Women’s A Downhill.
- Kristy Peck took 3rd in the Women’s A Super-D.
- Matt Fanfelle placed 3rd in Men’s A Hill Climb (which was pure suffering by all accounts).
- Tanner DeGiovanni ransacked the Men’s B categories, with a win in Men’s B XC, 3rd in Super D, and 3rd in the Hill Climb!
- Megan Ludwig took 3rd in the Women’s B hill Climb (closely followed by Kristin Kosak in 4th).
- John Feeney took 3rd in Men’s C Cross-Country and 2nd in the Mens Hill Climb.
With those podium finishes and lots of entries in the top ten, UNR is now leading the Western Collegiate Cycling Conference in overall points! Several riders are also now qualified for Nationals in Angelfire, NM, which is coming up in only a couple weeks.
We’ll be discussing the HSU race, Chico and Nationals races, and the other upcoming races at the team meeting this Wednesday (10/10/12) in the Rotunda on the 2nd floor of the Knowledge Center, at 8 PM (NOT Room 104). See you there!
UNR’s 2012 home mountain bike race exceeded all expectations! Thanks to all the racers and volunteers that made the event possible, and special thanks to Sky Tavern for providing such a great venue. Results are now posted!
Nevada racers made it to the podium a whole lot:
- 1st in Men’s A Cross Country (Trevor DeRuise)
- 1st and 3rd in Men’s B Cross Country (Matt Fanfelle and Jeremy Smith)
- 2nd in Women’s B/C Cross Country (Katie Ashley) (And Kristin Kosak led the C category, too!)
- 3nd in Men’s B Short Track (Tanner DeGiovanni)
- 2nd in Women’s A Short Track (Erica Greif)
- 1st and 2nd in Men’s A Dual Slalom (Casey Coffman and Trevor Thomassen)
- 2nd in Men’s B Dual Slalom (Christian Parker)
- 1/2/3 in Women’s B Dual Slalom(Kristin Kosak, Katie Ashley and Megan Ludwig)
- 2nd in Men’s A Downhill (Casey Coffman)
- 3nd in Men’s B Downhill (Ross Ramage)
- 3rd in Women’s B Downhill (Kristin Kosak)
We’ve consolidated the info about the race into it’s own standalone page, with a link to the race flyer and some more info. Some course details and schedule are subject to change, but there won’t be any huge deviations at this point. The UNR team is pretty excited about this race, can’t wait to see you there!
The Nevada Cycling team is sending over 20 riders to the WCCC mountain bike season opener this weekend in Parkfield, CA hosted by Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo. This is always onew of the biggest conference races of the year, and we’re proud to bring the biggest Nevada squad in years! With 4 events over 2 days, there’s sure to be a lot of top action for Nevada riders. Look for strong performances from second-year member Trevor DeRuise, super senior Pete Morris, and rookie Matt Fanfelle in the Men’s endurance events. Rookies Megan Ludwig and Leah Mullen have shown they’re a strong force in the women’s events. Gravity specialists Casey Coffman, Ben Jones, and Oakley Erickson are sure to be top contenders in both the Dh and Slalom events too! Stay tuned here for a race report to follow. Thanks to everyone for the support!
The UNR team will be hosting its annual home mountain bike race at Sky Tavern on Sept. 29 and 30th. Sky Tavern is just a few miles outside of Reno off Mount Rose Highway and features some of the best trails in the Reno-Tahoe area. Surrounded by trees, creeks and manzanita, this race will offer a nice change of pace from our usual hot and dry Peavine Mountain courses.
Stay tuned for more schedule details, but here are the events:
- Short Track
- Downhill (with an operational ski lift!)